I went to the Half Price Books sale today – 20% Off of everything! I didn’t go overboard but I found some books that had been on my wish list for a while. Anyway, want to hear what I got?
- A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb. A young adult novel about ghosts and hauntings. I can’t remember who recommended this one but I know it was a bloggy friend.
- Whistle Stop by Maritta Wolff. This is the story of the Veech family, an oversize, poverty-stricken tribe trying to make good in a cruel world.
- Afterimage by Helen Humphreys. From Publisher’s Weekly: Inspired by the Victorian photography of Julia Margaret Cameron, Canadian author Humphreys creatively invents the world behind the images of a costumed house maid. Acknowledging a debt to Jane Eyre, Humphreys sets her beguiling tale in the mid-19th-century English countryside, where doe-eyed Annie Phelan comes to work at Middle Road Farm.
- Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. It seems like everyone has read this one right? I know it’s one that’s gotten a lot of mixed reviews so I’m curious what I will think of it.
- The Snake Stone by Jason Goodwin. I haven’t read the first one in this series but I’ve heard it’s a great period mystery.
- Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. This book has been on my wish list for years I think and I’ve even tried too mooch it a couple of times unsuccessfully so I’m glad I found it.
The sale goes on through Monday so I think I’ll have to stop in again during the weekend. How about you, going to any book sales this weekend?