I saw a Booking Through Thursday post on Matt’s blog that made me want to put my own list together as well. I am terrible about keeping up with memes, but again, this one I had to participate in because I love literature from other countries. Like Matt, I also tried to choose books in translation. I may not read a lot of books in translations but I’m always working on that.
Name a book (or books) from a country other than your own that you love. Or aren’t there any? I have a lot but here are some of my favorites:
- Love In the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
- Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder (Norway)
- Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (México)
- Perfume by Patrick Süskind (Germay)
- Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura (Japan)
- The Post-Office Girl by Stefan Zweig (Austria)
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Spain)
- House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Chile)
- A Very Long Engagement by Sébastien Japrisot (France)
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Sweden)
I sort of cheated on the Laura Esquivel book as I am from México but I as I live in the U.S. I figured I could sneak that one on the list.
What are some of your favorites?