I haven’t had a chance to participate in Weekly Geeks in a while but I loved this week’s topic so here it goes:
Let’s take a magical history tour this week, with a focus on Historical Fiction. That is, contemporary novels with a historical setting. I like to give choices, so here they are, pick the question(s) that appeal to you:
Is there a particular era that you love reading about? Tell us about it–give us a book list, if you’d like. Include pictures or some fun facts from that time period, maybe link to a website that focuses on that time. Educate us.
I think you guys know that I’m a big fan of historical novels, especially those set in the Victorian Era. Something about the customs, the dresses, the gaslights, it all appeals to me. Here’s a short list of some of my favorite books set in this time frame.
- Lady’s Maid by Margaret Forester. I believe this was the book that start it all for me.
- Affinity by Sarah Waters
- Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters
- Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris
And, there are a bunch of mystery series I follow which are set in Victorian times too. I know I recently listed some of these but here are even more:
- Lizzie Martin series by Ann Granger
- Sarah Brandt series by Victoria Thompson
- Barker & Llewelyn series by Will Thomas
- Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn
- Sir Charles & Kate Sheridan series by Robin Paige
- William Murdoch series by Maureen Jennings
You should see just how many more books I have that are also set in this period which are waiting for me. Of course, if you have any recommendations let me know. I’m always adding to the list.
For those of you who enjoy historical fiction check out this web site. Your wish list will go overboard.