As I read a lot of mysteries I thought I’d list the series which I’m hooked on, the ones I’ve just discovered and plan to follow and the ones I’ve ditched. You can probably tell that I prefer distant lands and/or another time period. Of course I am always in the mood for a new series so if you have one you love let me know.
The ones I really like so far:
- Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. I’ve read the four books in the series and can’t wait for the fifth one.
- Inspector Rebus by Ian Rankin. There are 18 books and I’m up to five. He’s snarky, a loner and has a fondness for books.
- Inspector Banks by Peter Robinson. Another series with a lot of installments. I’m at number seven now.
- Gaslight Mystery series by Victoria Thompson. Murder and a bit of romance. I’ve read all books so far.
- Kate & Charles Sheridan by Robin Paige. Another historical setting. I’m up to book five of the 12 in the series.
- Commissario Brunetti by Donna Leon. I’m a sucker for a Venetian setting. I’m up to book six.
- Detective Erlendur by Arnaldur Indridason. The first two books have been great. Can they translate the rest any faster?
The ones I’ve just discovered but plan to follow:
- Richard Jury by Martha Grimes. I loved the first book and am currently reading the second one.
- Sano Ichiro by Laura Joh Rowland. The setting is 17th century Japan. I’ve read two so far.
- Cyrus Barker by Will Thomas. I enjoyed the first book and need to catch up. There are three in the series.
The ones I’ve ditched:
- Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich. I gave up at number 10. I couldn’t take another blown up car or the whole will she pick Ranger or Morelli situation.
- Rei Shimura by Sujata Massey. I read eight books. This one was so much fun when Rei was an antiques dealer living in Japan. Now she’s a spy for some U.S. agency. Let me know when you go back to Japan Rei.
- Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series by Anne Perry. I read three books but never warmed up to the main characters.