Last weekend I went to the library to pick up some holds because after reading all of the end of year lists, I had quite a few books I wanted to look into! Of course, not only do I pick up my holds but I did a bit of browsing. Here’s what I came home with:
- A Scream in Soho by John G. Brandon. This is a classic mystery published by The British Library Crime Classics. I like the cover art and will tell you more about this one soon. Of course now I’m also very interested in checking out other books from this collection. Have you guys read some? Any you have to recommend?
- The Giraffe’s Neck by Judith Schalansky. A German novel about a former East German school teacher who is the last of her kind. She knows she has to adapt to new ways but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. I think this sounds like a great book and there are illustrations from old text books. Neat.
- Under A Silent Moon by Elizabeth Haynes. This is the first in the Detective Chief Inspector Louisa Smith series. You know I love detective fiction.
- Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. A love story set against the backdrop of New York City, Paris and Barcelona. Sigh.
- A Game For Swallows by Zeina Abirached. I haven’t read a graphic novel in a long time so I’m really looking forward to this one.
I have a few other holds so hopefully those won’t all come in at once.
You Disappear by Christian Jungersen. According to the blurb on the cover this is a “provocative.. tensely executed thriller.” And, I also bought The Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd. A mystery set in mid-century Victorian London. The setting, the cover, I just couldn’t pass this up. Has anyone read this series? I believe there are a couple of others, this one being the first.
Okay, now I have to get busy and read these books! What about you, what new books did you get recently?