Since I had a birthday recently I thought it was a good excuse to treat myself to some books. With the help of some Borders coupons, Half Price Book sales and Amazon here’s what I got:
- The Fire Engine That Disappeared by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. This one I’ll probably read pretty soon as it’s the next book for discussion for my mystery book group.
- The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz. This book has been on my wishlist since it came out. It’s about time I got it.
- The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson. Another selection for my mystery book group.
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. This one has been recommended to me a lot. I love the cover and most importantly that it features a young girl sleuth. It already brings back memories of Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and Harriet the Spy.
- The Condition by Jennifer Haigh. A novel that explores family ties, self delusions and denials. Sounds intense.
- The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I actually did not love The Lovely Bones, mainly because I had some issues with one big plot point in the novel, but I do think Sebold is one to watch so I had to get this book.
So much for my resolve to not go to the library so I could pare down my stacks. Anyway, make sure to stop by tomorrow because I have an author guest post I’m excited about and a book giveaway!