While getting my daily dose of blog reading this morning I discovered two great blogs, Pages Turned and Shelly’s Book Shelf. You must check them out. They both had a neat meme going on about books so I thought I’d share my take on this too.
Name 3 books you haven’t read but always wanted to:
1. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.
2. Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
3. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
It always comes down to the Classics for me.
Name 3 books you wish you hadn’t read:
1. The Temple of my Familiar by Alice Walker
2. The Dirty Girls Social Club by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
3. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
I think I’ll probably get the most grief over The God of Small Things but really I could not make it past page 30. The Walker book was so long ago that I can’t even remember why I didn’t like it. And, The Dirty Girls Social Club was awful chick-lit. Steer clear my friends.
Name 3 books you read that were better than expected:
1. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
2. In the Name of Salome by Julia Alvarez
3. Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
I never thought I’d enjoy a “graphic” novel but Persepolis was really incredible. I hadn’t enjoyed several of Julia Alvarez’s books but In the Name of Salome was an engaging story. Finally, I didn’t think I’d like Disgrace but it’s become one of my most favorite books ever – so heart-wrenching.
If anyone posts their own list let me know. I’d love to see it.