My friend, Isabel, came up with a great reading challenge for next year. I originally had told myself that I wouldn’t participate in challenges that required more than 6 books but I’ll make an exception for this one. So, tonight I’ve been going through my stacks and selecting books that I can read for this challenge.
Visit the 9 for 09 challenge blog for all the details and what each of the categories mean.
I’ll be relying on books from my stacks but as we all know I’m sure to make some changes along the way. For now here’s my tentative list:
- Long – The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins fits the long category for me as my copy has 544 pages.
- Free – The Year of Fog by Michelle Redmond is a book I received at a bookstore event for our book group.
- Dusty – The Samurai’s Garden by Gail Tsukiyama was a book I blogged about finding back in March 2005. I think it’s pretty dusty. Granted, I know I have a lot more that have probably been sitting on my shelves longer.
- Used – Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson is the last book I bought at Half Price Books. It’s also a reading group choice so hopefully this means I will read it soon.
- Letter – I went with the first letter of my name to choose In a Dry Season by Peter Robinson. I love the Inspector Banks series so I’m looking forward to this, the 10th installment.
- STR – I don’t read many essays so The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby should fit this one.
- Cover – It’s hard to find a pretty or ugly cover. All of a sudden I can’t decide. For now I’ll go with The Red Leather Diary by Lily Koppel. I like it and it seems fitting for the subject matter.
- AN – I’ve been meaning to read something by Doris Lessing, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, for a long time. I’m going to read The Fifth Child as this year it seems I heard about it quite a bit.
- Dis – Choosing a book set more than 1,000 miles from my location was quite easy. I’ll go to 17th century Hindustan and read Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors.
Now I better get the weekend started with catching up on my reading. I’m also planning to spend some time with one of my friends, going to yoga, eating a lot of Cuties (I’m addicted to these at the moment) and coming up with more lists because I’m going to be joining a lot more challenges. I tried to resist but it’s useless.
Hope you all have a great weekend and check back soon because I have a book giveaway coming up!