As I was talking about mysteries recently, I couldn’t help but steal this question from Cathy over at Kittling Books:
Which crime fiction characters would you like to meet? Well, you know I follow quite a lot of mystery series so it’s actually a bit hard to narrow down to 10 characters but here it goes:
- Maisie Dobbs. I love that she’s smart and independent, and I’d just love to ride around in her little car solving mysteries in postwar England.
- Ursula Marlow. She reminds me a bit of Maisie actually but is very much her own character. She’s a business woman who doesn’t take kindly to the role Edwardian society expects her to play.
- Commissario Guido Brunetti. The Venetian detective doesn’t let crime wear him down. He is thoughtful and I’m sure he’d take me around to the best restaurants in Venice.
- Cyrus Barker & Thomas Llewelyn. The enquiry agent and his assistant are keeping Victorian England safe. After four books I’ve read, Barker is still a bit of a mystery so I’d like to ask him some questions.
- Mma Ramotswe. I can imagine sitting down with the owner of the detective agency, sipping some red bush tea and chatting about her life.
- Inspector Richard Jury. I think partly why I’d like to meet up with Jury is because I’d also be meeting all the great characters in the series, like Melrose Plant, Sergeant Wiggins and even the dreaded Lady Ardry.
- Faye Quick. I’ve only read one of the books in her series but she’s a bookworm and she’s a lady with a lot of moxie. I can see us going to one of her favorite bookstores and sharing book recommendations.
- Detective William Murdoch. Another Victorian setting but this time in Toronto. The serious detective is compassionate and intelligent.
- Sarah Brandt. This amateur sleuth is a midwife in turn of the century New York. Aside from liking her, I would just love to meet her to tell her she needs to throw caution to the wind and get together with that detective she’s always working with. Ha.
- Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. This inspector reminds me a bit of Brunetti. He’s kind, loves his family and seems like he’d be a great boss. Maybe I could become a sleuth for a day under his guidance.
I just realized that most of these are set in another century or outside of the States. Ah well, I do love to travel and I guess time-travel too. heh.
So, which crime fiction characters would you like to meet?